Monday, March 12, 2012

A Mangaweka Road song – Sam Hunt

A Mangaweka Road song – Sam Hunt

No place more I’d like to bring you than
this one-pub town
approached in low gear down
the gorges through the hills.

Now they’ve built the by-pass
the drinkers left are locals
& odd commercial travellers.
Quiet afternoons like this you hear the falls

On the Post Office corner
a blue flag floats. I bought
a hot meat pie at the store
a new harmonica.

A public bar drinker
tells me what I want to hear.
I play for him later
songs on my harmonica.

We know each other now
I buy my round of beers,
I catch up on the news
in small town public bars.

They ask me why I travel
& never settle down
I lost two games of pool
& hitchhike out of town.




I found these poems in an old poetry anthology from school. Unfortunately there isn't a reference for where they originally came from.

1 comment:

  1. I think was "play" two games of pool and hitch-hike out of town......

    ReplyDelete